Personal Protection Dogs
Home Protection Dogs – Property Protection Dogs – Business Protection Dogs
Do you have a need for a personal protection dog? Many people don’t like to own or carry a firearm, so the next best type of home, office or property defense you can own, is a protection dog. Some people believe that just because they own a large or aggressive dog that their dog will protect them when the time comes. This is normally not the case.
The last thing you want is an aggressive dog. An Aggressive dog is a defensive dog and a defensive dog is normally a scared dog. A defensive dog is an uncontrollable dog because they normally act out of fear, rather than command. Most people have this huge misconception that w working dog, such as a police dog or a military dog is a mean dog and this is not the case. These working dogs are some of the most stable minded dogs that can be found. We will never take a mean or aggressive dog and teach it how to bite on command, because the bite work would be uncontrollable.
What we are looking for in a working dog is a friendly, happy dog with loads of drive and energy. We get calls all the time with people wanting to have their house pet trained as a personal protection dog and we have to turn down 99% of them.
If your wanting a personal protection dog, here is what we do …
- Meet with you to discuss your needs and discuss the reason behind obtaining such a dog. If you have been convicted of any felonies or domestic violence misdemeanors, we would not be able to work with you. If you have been convicted of any type of cruelty to animals or are known or suspected of fighting dogs, we would not be able to do anything for you as pertaining to obtaining a personal protection dog. We do not care how much money you have, as this will not change our minds.
- Once approved, we would discuss your options and find out what breed of dog you wish to obtain and what dog we think would work best for you.
- Once a contract is submitted by our client, we would begin our search for the perfect working dog. Any dog we obtain is guaranteed to fulfill the working requirements. If that dog failed our initial evaluations for the task ahead, we would return the dog for a dog that can fulfill the requirements.
- Now that we have found the right dog, a down payment would need to be submitted from our client. This payment is normally half of the total cost of the dog, training and handler course.
- While the dog is being trained, we would continually send video contact to our client to show them the progression of the training.
- Once the dog meets IPO certification requirements, the dog’s training would be considered complete.
- Final Payment would be made at this time.
- We would then begin the handler course with the new owner of the dog and certain requirements would have to be met before the dog is released into the custody of the client.
- Once the dog is released into the custody of the new owner, continuing handler education would be required for a period of time, determined by the outcome of the handler course.
- Our client and us would then sign-off on a completed transaction.
At no time would we ever turn over a dog to a client we didn’t feel was ready. Even after the handler course, we require that continuing handler education is performed, just so our client is fluent with handling such a dog. If this training is not completed, we would not be able to sign off on your contract.
Now that you own such a dog, this doesn’t mean that your dog can’t be socialized. It is important that your dog remain balanced through exercise and socialization. Owning a dog of this caliber means that you will need to dedicate a certain amount of time each week, performing training exercises. We highly suggest that once you own a personal protection dog that you get in touch with others who have working dogs to not only train with, but to learn new exercises and tactics. We can assist you with finding the right group for you.
Breeds that we DO NOT Train for Personal Protection.
- Staffordshire Terrier
- Cane Corso
- American Bully
- Any Terrier Breed